The article describes the essentials of what was presented by the Walpole Public Schools specialist, Laura Walters, to the school committee.
Here are the main points you need to know about Math Common Core standards, based on this article:
• It is a much more rigorous standard than the old system
• Student assessment is strictly performance based. She gives an example of how a student could get a grade A in the past just by making a poster about their favorite mathematician and adds that things don’t work this way anymore with the new standards
• Common Core Math standards emphasize more on aspects that make the Math harder but more fun to learn
• It’s all about solving real-time problems rather than abstract algorithms and procedures
• Some schools allow after-hour learning programs to help kids avoid falling behind.
I have tutored Math for years and I am glad to see finally a system that makes sense. Given how things have established so far, it will be painful to implement such system and will take some time, no question about it. However, the future is bright and the American education will be reaping the rewards for years to come.
Don’t hesitate to contact us, should you have any question about the new standards and what you need to know to help your children succeed in school and have a more smooth transition into this new system.